The tumescent in office power assisted laser lipolysis (TOPAL™) is a technique that Dr. Ayman El-Attar, founder of Derma Laser Centers has introduced to the medical community in 2007. After performing over 10000 TOPAL procedures worldwide, Dr. El-Attar has educated physicians and have lectured about this procedure in USA and in over 30 other countries
How does the TOPAL ™ work?
- After one hour of applying the tumescent anesthesia, a very small cannula (tube) approximately 2.0 mm in diameter is inserted into the skin. The cannula vibrates at a high rate back and forth breaking all the fibrous septae and suctioning fat cells. Afterward using a 600 micron fiber the laser’s energy directly to the fat cells, causing the fat cells to rupture and drain away easily. The laser energy also interacts with the dermis, resulting in collagen remodeling.
- Due to the cannula’s small size, TOPAL™ is a minimally invasive procedure and can be performed under local anesthesia. The laser causes small blood vessels to coagulate immediately on contact, resulting in less bleeding, swelling and bruising – and a quicker recovery time than conventional liposuction. Because general anesthesia is unnecessary, the procedure is very safe, and can be performed safely in an office setting without the need for additional costs of general anesthesia, and a hospital operating room
Who is a good candidate for the TOPAL ™ procedure procedure?
- If you have areas of fat that will not respond to diet and exercise, then you’re a candidate for Laser lipolysis. Ideal candidates are in good health, of normal body weight and have realistic expectations for the results. Also patients who are not satisfied with their previous results from traditional liposuction will benefit from laser lipolysis, to adjust their irregularities.
What body regions can be treated with TOPAL ™ procedure?
- Smartlipo can be a great adjunct to tumescent liposuction procedures, although it does not replace conventional liposuction. It is ideal for treating small areas of the face, neck, arms, breasts (gynecomastia), and abdominal areas and areas of loose and flabby skin.
How many treatments will I need?
- For most patients, typically only one treatment is required. The session may last from 45 minutes to one hour for each area treated.
What do I have to do after the treatment?
- After the treatment you will need to wear a compression garment for several days to several weeks, depending on the body area being treated. Rest is recommended after the procedure for one day and activity may be resumed gradually. Refrain from hot tubs or strenuous exercise for 2 weeks. You will be advised by Dr. El-Attar to start your lymphatic drainage which helps your recovery with best results obtained.
Does TOPAL ™ procedure treat cellulite?
- The procedure may improve the body’s shape and may relatively improve cellulite to a certain degree.
When can I expect to see results?
- Results can be seen as soon as a week with continued improvement over several months.